500ml of full cream milk for cheena
1 lemon, squeeze out the juice
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup sugar for sugar syrup
3 cups of water
1 teaspoon good quality rose water
1. For cheena preparation boil 500ml milk and curdle it by adding lemon juice and keep stirring it continuously.
2. Drain this curdled through a thin muslin cloth and squeeze the cheena and wash it under running tap water.
3. Drain out the excess water from cheena and add 2 tablespoon all purpose flour and knead well. Make 10-15 small rectangular shaped pieces with help of your palms. Keep aside
4. To make sugar syrup heat water in a pan and add sugar to it. Blend well. Allow it to cook for about 5-6 minutes or till the desired consistency is reached.
5. Add these cheena pieces to the syrup and cook for 10-15 minutes with lid partially covered. Cheena dumplings will swell and puff up. On cooling, add 1 teaspoon good quality rose water, take out the Chhena Gaja from sugar syrup and place them on a tray.
6. Refrigerate and serve chilled.
Chhena Gaja is rectangle-shaped cheena prepared in a sweet sugar syrup. Popular in northern India, these treats are soft and juicy.